Monday, March 8, 2010

Wonder

We serve a God of wonder, creativity, and imagination. His parables of what the Kingdom would look like enticed the imaginative mind to dream, and dream big. God didn't show us His glory through lectures, essays, or pie charts (or any other seemingly boring things) but He delighted to drop our jaws with talking donkeys, a stroll on water, giant man-swallowing fish, splitting seas, pillars of fire, and spontaneous wrestling matches. I like that. I don't want to ever put aside the freedom of child-likeness in hopes of a pious self sufficiency. I'll take a dose of God's wonder instead.

Lately, with many gentle prods from friends, acquaintances, or even complete strangers, I've been really challenged to re-think my ideas about the Holy Spirit. I tend to approach anything dealing with the Holy Spirit with much hesitation, skepticism, and doubt. Last night as I was giddy thinking about God's wonder and all that it entails, I felt a small voice tell me,
"The Holy Spirit is my wonder"
Oi. That floored me. Christians will always sin. They will continue to do things wrong, to hurt people, and to give wrong representations, but the Holy Spirit is still the same. God will continue to paint the world with His wonder using the 'antics' of the Holy Spirit as He dissents from the boxes we put Him in and breaks every dependence on reason. So, while we dream of the 'whimsical' Kingdom of Heaven where the last are first and the weak are strong and no one goes without and the lion lays down with the lamb, it can be brought here on earth when we allow the Holy Spirit to be our crayons. We can see a world where peace passes all understanding, where juicy fruits of the Spirit outweigh hate, worry, and indulgence, where provision comes not a moment too late, where bodies are healed and mourning turns into dancing. When truly from God, I dare say that the Holy Spirit can accomplish nothing but wonder.
This is all new to me, so feel free to disagree and let me know :) I'm so excited for this process of trust.

P.S. I made another scarf! This time for Kathi's birthday. Here's a picture of Julia and Kathi both sporting their scarves I made. :) I love being able to create.P.P.S. I wouldn't mind having this in my back yard. It's a tree with lots of little knitted sweaters, just in case he got cold. Man, how cool is it that God gave us the ability to imagine things like this and then make them happen!?!

2 comments:

emily rae said...

1. Lindy - you don't know how encouraging this is to read for me! I really mean encouraging, and not to sound cliche. This is good stuff. Really good. And you write beautifully.
2. I want to make a scarf as cool as yours.
3. I am thoroughly impressed with that tree's sweater.
4. I love you and can't want to see you again.
<3

Debbie Jo said...

Lindy...if i knew it was this easy to leave comments on your blog i totally would have 10 years ago!!
Holy Spirit is SOOOO good. I am so excited that He is tugging and you are respoding, it's awesome! Keep delving into Him and receiving all that He desires to give you. Trust.

i love you!!