Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Navel Gazing

 The wedding is just a few days away and Jake and I have some art projects to work on. Well, mostly Jake. I just help :)


Lately I've been tempted to do a lot of vain thinking about myself related to the wedding. Wishing; I could have lost one more pound, my skin was a few shades darker, my gnarly scar on my back wasn't so obvious, the latest red dots on my face would go away and so on. I felt God reminding me lately that the best thing I can give Jake is not some perfect image, but a heart fully devoted to the Father.

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but 
a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

Similarly, when the Day comes that I stand before God, He will see straight to the heart and know what I have to bring to Him. I have two building options: I can build my life with wood, hay, and stubble, or with gold, silver and precious stones (1 Corinthians 3:11-15). I have the choice of living a life of substance, focusing on the things that last and please God, or living a life of selfish ambition, vain conceit, and pride. When I do something for the praise of men, I've received my reward in full and will only have a measly piece of straw to lay before my Creator. When I walk out silent devotion that may not seem flashy and will possibly not be noticed by any, I bring with me worship that stands through the testing of God's firey eyes.

Perspective! This is the perspective I'm looking for, even in the midst of wedding planning. I'm in no way saying that it's wrong to try and look beautiful for a husband, but merely pointing out that this is not something that lasts and is not what is best. It's so easy to fall into that spiraling cycle of insecurity and I'm trying my hardest to fight against it.

Hold fast. Stand firm. Live holy. Speed His coming. 

It's all about a wedding to come.
It's all about a God who's a lover.

1 comment: