Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Crumbled

This past year has been the hardest of my life.
 I feel like I got T-boned by motherhood and I'm still in a state of shock as I pick up the pieces while my ears continue to ring from the crash. 
I felt a little sheepish about sharing this with people, because in reality, my life is pretty good. 
I have an amazing husband, a healthy baby (toddler?), a cozy home, food on the table, a supportive community and family nearby.
What more could I ask for?
The storm has been raging on the inside, and underneath my smile and upbeat personality, I've been drowning. 

A few months ago as I was attempting to process some of the emotions that were swirling inside of me I realized a very interesting trend.
All of my life I've been able to be good, or even great, at whatever I do. 
Give me a goal, some guidelines or rules, a time limit and I'm there. 
If at any point I realize that I'm not going to succeed, or be the best, I quit.
I quit.
I run away.
I escape.
I have more stories than I'd like to admit where when faced with weakness or possible failure, I've run for the hills in order to 'save face.' 
For most of my post-high school life I've been in some kind of structured internship or program where I've been able to succeed.
The expectations were set and I was able to meet them, exceed them, and strive for more.

Motherhood is a whole new ballgame.
Success doesn't have a clear definition and being the best doesn't necessarily mean that you have anything to show for it.
And the hardest part of all; there's no escaping when you feel like a failure.

Feeling like a failure while at the same time being struck with the 'mundaneness' of motherhood sent me reeling. 

Now comes in the most helpful article I've read in a long time by a guy named David Sliker.
His post about being 'ordinary' brought to light so much of the struggle going on inside of me.

"The language of the modern church reflects a worldview that is slightly different than the Bible’s definition of success. The cry is often heard at youth gatherings and conferences: “You’re special. You’re powerful. You’re great. You can change the world!” There is a major difference between having a positive outlook and preaching unbiblical positivism. Unbiblical positivism has another name: flattery. Flattery initially feels good to the soul, but is ultimately very damaging to the heart over the long-term. The problems with flattery lie within its vanity and powerlessness to equip the heart for the toils and snares of life."

In other words, I had a self-absorbed and extremely inflated view of myself that loathed weakness and scorned the simplicity and, dare I say, invisible life of a mom. 
When the programs, the awards, the A's, and the acknowledgements disappeared, I felt naked and shaky in my own identity. 

"Some refuse to face the truth about their daily life. They cling to the fantasy they bought wholeheartedly in their younger days, which makes the eventual collision with truth more painful. When life comes crashing into the one who believed the flattering words of a self-absorbed messenger, the consequences are tragic. The heart hardens quickly. Cynicism and bitterness are the beginning of the new life that awaits the disillusioned. Compromise often follows."

I was angry at God.
I was confused, wounded, and depressed.
I felt hardness creeping into my heart and shame coaxed me to isolate, numb, and give myself over to despair.
If it were up to me, I would have stayed in bed all day.


There was no escaping.
There was no quick fix or just right answer.
In fact, I wish I could in all honesty talk about this in a 'past tense' way, but I can't.
This is still hard for me. 
Being great, being in ministry, being gifted, being in the forefront was so woven into the core of me that when it was stripped, I crumbled.
I still feel like I'm in pieces.

2 Corinthians 4:8-10
We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed- always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.

And now the task is given to me to die. Daily. 
To take up my cross and follow.
"God's not out to hurt your pride, he's out to kill it!"
He's crushing my pride, my vanity, my self-centeredness in hopes of beauty on the other side.
He's looking to make me like gold, which is only perfected through fire.
In his wisdom he gave me the desire to be a mom, knowing that motherhood happened in the background, in the late nights, and in the laying down of my life. 
He does have a plan for me that is extraordinary and through my selfish desires I interpreted that to mean my own greatness.
But in the end, He will receive glory from my life; a broken and contrite spirit that comes from years of patient endurance and faithfulness, by the grace of God!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this, thank you for sharing. I have been there and am there some days. In desparate hours of crying out to the Lord to give me a love for life and mothering he has answered it (answering...its always on-going) not in a way I expected. But by giving me a huge desire to live a "simple" life. The article you mentioned rings so true and is so encouraging. I love you and am so encouraged by you. I will be praying for you....annnd if you ever want to plant roots in Mpls, that would be cool :)

RG said...

really good thoughts Lindy! thanks so much for sharing. In today's facade-full Facebook world, where we fill each others'"News Feeds" with our carefully selected happy life highlights, its super refreshing and encouraging to be in community with folks who are secure enough in their identity in Christ, to be transparent about their weaknesses. (and, for whatever its worth, from my naive vantage point, i'd say Izzy is super blessed to have the parents he has!)

Michele said...

Lindy thanks for sharing! I appreciate your honesty and being open about the hard things in life. I often think, as believers, we don't open up and face the hard things in life as much and being raw with what we're struggling with. I pray god shows you all that you seek!

Unknown said...

This is wonderful and raw. God is constantly stripping away at me which is painful, but I am so thankful for it. It can be so hard to see that we have become "puffed up" until we "crumble" and are faced with what is truly in our hearts. Motherhood is REFINEMENT. The ultimate refinement. Thank you for sharing your heart and know you are not alone!!

Hot Mess Mama said...

Love. Another thing that I would add is that you experience it with each new birth, it is not a one and done thing, each child unearths new places that need to be brought low. Peace and Joy to you and your.

Watchman07 said...

Lindy, I appreciate so much your incredible nakedness in this post. I got chills relating to several points. There is sweet relief in hearing someone else finally assemble words to describe your own feelings and experiences. Passed or present.You did that for me today. I feel like I have lived this journey you are now in..only 6 years ago. And I did experience beauty on the other side. I was the squeaky clean leader who fell, and I had a lot of self hatred to shake and a lot of forgiveness to give myself. Your post also strikes me in another way... and that is, where you mentioned the invisible life as a mother and the mundane Ness of mommyhood, I think I fear becoming a mom because I know that is something I will have to make peace with an ultimately come to enjoy. All mothers say that the joy is mixed in, but I'm still frightened of losing the freedom and endless possibilities that come with waking up each day childless. I am encouraged by your post because it's so refreshing to hear someone admit what you've admitted. I know that once I'm a mommy, I will feel similar things at one point or another. But seeing someone who has always been so strong as you acknowledge and embrace GOD'S goodness throug it is a great hope to me ...and makes me a little less afraid :)