Sunday, August 2, 2015

A Sin That So Easily Entangles

There are times that I feel compelled to blog about something going on in my life
As you can see from my sporadic posting, I don't feel that very often
But tonight, I felt it
 And even though I'm tired and it's way past my bedtime, I'm going to do my best to write

On April 3rd just before 5 in the morning, I was in Abe's dark bedroom nursing
Usually I would sit in my armchair with eyes closed, trying to stay as relaxed as possible
I would quietly wait for Abe to drift off so that I could stumble my way back to bed
Suddenly, the stillness and silence was interrupted by the sound of my husband weeping
He pushed open the door, and through sobs, told me the news that his older sister had taken her life
We sat there together, tears flowing, hearts broken, mind confused, hoping this was all a dream

We had just spent the prior weekend together
Only 4 days ago we had hugged her
Laughed with her
Played with her
Ate with her
We knew she was at a very low point
I had told her that weekend;
"We're both a mess right now. We can do it together!"
One of my first reactions when finding out the terrible news was anger
I wanted to grab her by the shoulders and say;
"I don't want to live either Val, but we don't get to choose death!"
It's not an option

For the past 7 months I have experienced the deepest depression I've ever gone through
My days were surrounded by a darkness you could feel
It was like a heavy blanket that suffocated my breath, muffled the words of truth, and blinded my eyes from clarity 
In my weakness I welcomed bitterness, resentment, and self pity as companions
What I didn't realize, was that the first was a stronger force than I had ever reckoned with and was out to take my life
Bitterness began to wind itself around my heart like a thorny invasive weed and I was powerless to free myself from his tight grasp 
I was so angry at God and began to doubt his goodness
Because of those doubts, I became stubborn and would not cry out for help

This emptiness became my new normal
I lost the will to fight and strain against the strangling chords
I felt myself slip into acceptance mingled with despair
I was losing hope and that is one thing you cannot live without

On a mild summer night in June I sat on my in-laws front step with Jake and his younger sister Mel
Under the glow of the street lights we covered many topics
One thing you can be sure of in this packed full house of 8 Paurus', a day doesn't go by without us talking about Val
Most of the time I just sit there and listen
Taking it all in
Letting the words, tears, and times of silence paint pictures of the sister I wish I knew more
The 3 of us were doing just that
Painting with words
Asking hard questions
Allowing tears to fall
It had been a long time since I felt like I heard from the Lord but in that moment it was clear as can be
I remembered a sculpture that Val had made after graduating from college
It was one of those pieces of art that captivates and disturbs at the same time
Part of you wants to look away, but a still stronger part holds your gaze



I remembered the heart
Tethered and tied up in a box
I knew in that moment that my own heart looked like that
I felt God gently but firmly tell me that the battle for my heart was a matter of life or death
Nothing spectacular happened right then and there, but from that moment on there was a cry for help inside of me
I knew I was too weak to overcome the sin that had entangled me-
But I had to trust that his power was perfect in my weakness

In the last couple weeks I've started to feel the change
Slowly but surely my cold hardened heart is melting
It's like the master gardener is snipping the thick vines one by one
And I can finally breathe again
I can finally say that I have hope
I can finally say that I believe that God is good

I wish I could have walked through this journey with my sweet sister in-law
I wish I would have told her just how dark my days were, so that I could share the light I now see
I can't, and I know how unhealthy it is for me to dwell on the "I wish" and "if onlys" 
But I knew I was supposed to write this blog post
Because maybe there's someone who might stumble upon my weak and feeble journey and find comfort in it

Know this:
He hears the cry of the broken and the destitute
He really does have timing that is perfect
He is near in the midst of pain
He sees your weak love as real love
There is no pit too deep
No sin too disgraceful
No heart too dark

If you listen and watch, you'll notice His goodness all around
He's inviting you to draw near
to simply ask
All it takes is one cry for help
And he will rescue you



3 comments:

Charissa Steyn said...

So brave of you to share this but so healing and hope-filled for you and all of us who read this post. I live that God is in the business of restoring lif to us...keep seeking Him with all your heart girly!

michele shaffer said...

Girl, this post almost had me in tears. This post just brought me so much comfort. That in the darkness of life, there are those who understand, who have been through the fire as well. I want to hug you right now! Same boat, similar emotions, familiar paths. Thank you for writing this, it does not go unheard or connected with. I miss you and hope you will visit Lancaster in the near future. Praying and thinking of you lovie. Keep pressing in! He always hears. He always sees. Love you!

Nikki Moreno said...

I'm crying reading this! The day I left HA I found out minutes before I left my best friend had been shot and killed. I can identify with all you've said and even though it's been, almost, 8 years I still struggle to find that nearness with God I once had. Thank you for being vulnerable in the midst of pain and loss. You do bring much hope.