Thursday, January 22, 2009

You say toemaytoe, I say toemahtoe.

Here are some interesting differences about Austria I wanted to share.

  • The washing machine cycle is at least one hour in length
  • You may not throw all of your trash into the same bin. They sort it before they put it out to be collected. If you don't, you will be fined!
  • At 12:15 pm on Saturday afternoons an alarm sounds off in the town announcing the start of the weekend. You may not be loud (mow your lawn, play loud music, use power tools) until Monday morning.
  • Many stores close during lunch time (from 12-2)
  • They write the date differently. They put the day first, month second, and then the year.
  • All of the fridges are quite small. They grocery shop often and keep less food in the house
  • You never wear shoes in the house
  • Most of the cars here are stick shift
  • If you are sitting in a public place, for example a doctor's office, and someone enters the building, they will say a greeting directed to everyone and all will respond back to him.
  • One of the missionaries here goes to a church that is the only Evangelical church for 40 km!
  • The toilets don't have a handle to flush but a big button on top to push.

I hope you enjoyed some of those fun facts. I'm sure I'll be learning more of them as time goes on. I'll be posting photos and more stories very soon!

2 comments:

ted said...

Your father told me about all the excitement before you even entered the country. Two words.
I knew you would weather it like a pro though. I'm told you keep in touch pretty frequently with your family through skype. I really need to set that thing up.
Those are interesting things about Austria. I'm not sure I could forego using my power tools on the weekend however.
I would be intrigued to here what they are saying about our election and new president, as well as how their economy is functioning right now. I'm sure you are not interested in

Samantha said...

Do you have hot water?