Friday, February 6, 2009

Ice cream is better in Austria

This weekend will be my 3 week anniversary of living in Austria. It's amazing how a length of time can seem so short and so long all at once. I've heard a lot of stories of what adjusting to a new culture looks like, and now I'm actually experiencing it for myself. I'm almost always tired. I feel like 24 hour days are completely different in Austria. They seem longer and shorter at the same time. I'm anxious to get a normal schedule starting Monday with language school.

This week we did a lot of small ministry related things. I feel as if I might’ve cleaned more this week than I have in my entire life. On Wednesday we went to a market in Vienna to hand out Christian literature to people. This market is full of internationals and once again the pattern continued of not meeting ANY Austrians. My partner Emily and I connected with two very interesting men in one of the shops. The one was an Indian man named Josef and the other a Nigerian named Emmanuel. We were amazed at how quickly they wanted to help us. They gave us the names of churches to visit, places to hang out, tips for getting adjusted, and they even gave us a phone number of some people who live two towns over. Their hospitality was incredible and really made me feel that much more passionate about seeing the people of Austria come to know Jesus!

Some Prayer Points:
That my team would feel refreshed physically, emotionally, spiritually.

Unity amongst the team

Clearer vision and purpose for why I’m here

Visas!

Don't forget to check out my photos!
http://photobucket.com/least_of_these

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leave it to an African to make you feel welcome and more at home in a place. Even in Austria.

Praying for you, Lindy.

Set_Apart said...

beames don't talk about ice cream please, it makes me want to switch internship sites.
jk!
we sort of have ice cream here...but it has to travel across a desert to get here so it's a little funky.

can't wait to hear some german soon!