Monday, November 8, 2010

Chums, pals, comrades

I recently began attending a small group of young adults that meet in Lancaster on Tuesday nights. I was introduced to this gathering by my dear friend Debbie who is a member of the house church that this small group came from. I really look forward to it every week now, which is funny because normally this would not be my cup of tea. The people there all know each other and have some sort of connection already. I've come in as an outsider and it appears that I don't have very much in common with any of the members. But we do have a few core components in common that make a world of difference. We're all just a group of young people who earnestly desire to know Christ more and hope to find a way to do that as a body of believers instead of alone. I love community and have noticed recently how important it is for me to be connected in some way to other followers of Jesus. We weren't meant to stand alone during times of hardships or sorrow or confusion or even celebration and joy. We function best when we have others to pray, laugh, cry, and stand with. Even though this small group consists mostly of single guys (7 dudes and 3 girls!!), I'm pumped to see how God will deepen our love for Him, and create a connection of friends that doesn't happen naturally in this world. I'm all about supernatural friendships. They're the best kind.

Speaking of super friendships, I just want to make a brief shout out to two couples who mean the world to me. These friends have stuck with me even when big oceans separated us. They are understanding, caring, loving, and probably the people I have the most fun with. I missed both of their weddings, but by God's goodness it looks like our paths will cross for another season coming in the spring. I can't wait to see what's in store for these friendships. They are so dear to me :)

1 comment:

Natasha said...

only 18 days until you are soooo soooo near to me!!!! I can't wait...when you are here can we sit and drink something yummy and sit in my living room and talk about our woes? : ) pretty please.
i can't wait to share a bit of life with you!