Friday, November 29, 2013

Advent Series: Celebration of the First with Longing for the Second

Nothing makes me long for the second coming of Jesus Christ more than the celebration of His first.
Singing those hymns fills me with joy, gratitude, awe, but then also a nagging feeling in my belly.
It's the ache of missing someone.
I remember the first time I heard a song by Misty Edwards where she sings:
"We miss you Jesus, and we want you to return"
I remember thinking to myself:
"That seems strange to miss someone you've never been around or 'met.'"
Later, God convicted me of that sentiment, showing me that the reason I felt that way was because I didn't know what I was missing.
Meaning, I didn't know WHO I was missing.
Without a real revelation of Jesus (His thoughts, emotions, character, plans) we won't wish we were with Him.
Now of course every Christian would say they wish they were with Jesus, but do we miss Him?
Can we say that we long to be with Him?
I couldn't say that, and still without abiding in the vine I lose track of it.
The Spirit bears witness or testifies of Jesus (1 John 5:6)
When we talk with God, abide in the vine, and walk by the Spirit (all one in the same) we will inevitably desire to be one with Jesus.
At the end of the story, we see in Revelation 22:17 that the Bride will be in agreement with the Spirit in saying "Come Lord Jesus!"
I want to agree with the Spirit now.
I don't want to wait.
In so many of the old carols and hymns, the writer talks about the first and second coming of Jesus.
We were never meant to be satisfied with only the first. 
Let us be thankful and never forget how God took on flesh and humbled Himself, but let it ignite an insatiable desire to see Him come once again and make His home among men, forever.

Veiled in flesh the Godhead see
Hail the incarnate Deity
Pleased as man with men to dwell
Jesus, our Emmanuel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like this post so much! You're such a good writer and I love your overflowing heart!

Anonymous said...

Wow! this is beautiful!!!